Subject: bug#44509: 28.0.50; Error querying with new gnus-search and notmuch

From: jao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 21:50:22 +0000

On Wed, Nov 11 2020, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> I see, I had your problem backwards. My guess is that no one has tried
> to do this before, so the issue has never come up.
>
> BTW, while there's no longer a "gmane" search engine, it would be nice
> to provide an engine for searching other nntp servers. In your case
> you're running it locally, but do you know if a remote leafnode server
> handles any sort of search functionality? (I might as well google this
> myself.)

No, i don't think leafnode does anything of the sort (it's old, from
simpler times, and kind of opinionated on a minimal feature set).

[...]

> Okay! Glad that's sorted. You might still want a new engine, if you have
> other notmuch engines that shouldn't inherit this behavior.

Yes, and it's just adding a single line to the above code, so pretty cheap.

[...]

> Hmm, I guess it wouldn't be useful for me to implement this in the
> general case, since the ids aren't going to be accepted by nnselect.
>
>> That's all (well, obviating thread seaches, but those are not hard
>> either).  Except that it doesn't work because nnselect wants
>> [group article-no score].  If you tell me how to obtain article-no from
>> message-id, i'm done :)
>
> For nnimap, it's `nnimap-find-article-by-message-id'.

Well, that function is contacting back the imap server and asking for a
(simple) search, so it's going to be very roundabout even if it finally
works (i cannot manage to make it work for me, although i'm surely doing
something wrong and its implementation not trivial).  

fst-xapian doesn't look that bad, after all (actually, i was confusing
it with solr or elastic which need independent servers and are too
heavyweight for me.) :)

Thanks,
jao