Subject: Re: bug#44509: 28.0.50; Error querying with new gnus-search and notmuch

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 05:10:49 +0000

Hi again, Eric.

I was looking at the notmuch engine code and wondering why it wasn't
working for me in a leafnode directory, which puts its messages in a
nnmail-compatible format (as far as i can tell).  And i discovered what
looks like a possible bug in gnus-search-indexed (or a misunderstanding
on my side).  Concretely, on line 1363 of gnus-search, when implementing
gnus-search-indexed-parsed output, we're constructing a groups regexp
that looks like:

	(group-regexp (when groups
			(regexp-opt
			 (mapcar
			  (lambda (x) (gnus-group-real-name x))
			  groups))))

and then matching the returned list of files on that regexp (line 1377):

       (string-match-p group-regexp f-name)))

But gnus-group-real-name is giving me back a dot-separated path for
nested folders (e.g. gmane.bugs.gnus), while the file paths in the
results are using slashes (gmane/bugs/gnus/234 etc.), so the match
test always fails and no results are returned.

If i simply redefine group-regexp using:

    (replace-regexp-in-string "\\." "/" (gnus-group-real-name x)))

searches work fine for me.  I can do that with an around advice, so that
my tricks work in this case, but i was wondering if it's an oversight.

On other news, i was trying to find a way in Gnus to go from Message-ID
to article no. for IMAP groups or nnmaildirs (which would make using
notmuch with dovecot really trivial), but without luck: anyone knows of
an easy way?

Cheers,
jao
-- 
As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to live it more and
more.
 -Jules Renard, writer (1864-1910)