Subject: bug#44486: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 17:14:05 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 17:56:36 -0500
> 
> >> For .el files, we can always bind inhibit-null-byte-detection to t
> >> when we load or visit such files.
> > Alternatively, we could introduce a separate coding-system whose
> > :inhibit-null-byte-detection property is t, and use that for *.el
> > files.
> 
> If you want to go that route, that's fine by me.

I actually think that we don't need to do anything.  We've lived for 7
years with a reality that is worse than what is now on master, and no
one complained.

But if you are very unhappy about this, we _could_ introduce a new
coding-system for *.el files.

> (especially since we don't have any evidence that potential other
> users would favor the current behavior over the
> inhibit-null-byte-detection one).

The current behavior on master is to heed inhibit-null-byte-detection;
the current behavior in Emacs 27 is to ignore it, and always consider
a .el file with null bytes as binary.  I hope you agree that the
behavior on master is slightly better, at least in that it won't
surprise users.