Subject: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 16:11:28 +0100

1) emacs -Q
2) M-x find-file test.el
3) insert this in test.el buffer:
;; ààààà
(foo "^@")
4) save buffer
5) M-x revert-buffer

You should see now the line ;; ààààà corrupted:

NOTE: in 3) Write "^@" with C-q C-@.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-08-31 built on IPadS340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.3

Recent messages:
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Decrypting /home/thierry/.authinfo.gpg...done
Sending email  
Sending email done
Saving file /home/thierry/Maildir/Posteo/Sent/cur/1604674326.396ddaa78615bfbe.ipads340:2,S...
Wrote /home/thierry/Maildir/Posteo/Sent/cur/1604674326.396ddaa78615bfbe.ipads340:2,S
Sending...done
[mu4e] Message sent
Do you want to exit emacs-w3m? (y or n) y

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O3 --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-mailutils --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Ilisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-autosave-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-ff-cache-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug w3m-filter w3m-cookie w3m-tabmenu w3m-session
w3m-search helm-w3m w3m-bookmark gnutls epa-file network-stream nsm
mailalias helm-ring helm-dabbrev autocrypt-message epa-mail helm-firefox
magit-extras face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit add-log with-editor qp view sort
gnus-cite smiley w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util
mm-archive mail-extr autocrypt-gnus autocrypt-mu4e autocrypt rx
addressbook-bookmark mu4e-config org-mu4e gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message
shr svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-vars message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-meta helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-bookmark bookmark text-property-search pp
helm-command flymake-proc flymake warnings conf-mode sh-script smie
executable jka-compr bug-reference naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
hol-loaddefs tv-utils undo-tree diff undo-tree-autoloads ligature
ligature-autoloads boxquote rect rainbow-mode-autoloads psession
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile wgrep-helm-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
log-view pcvs-util pcmpl-git pcmpl-git-autoloads
bash-completion-autoloads powerline powerline-separators color
powerline-themes powerline-autoloads toc-org-autoloads cl-indent pcase
ffap markdown-toc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads autocrypt-autoloads
config-w3m w3m-autoloads git-gutter git-gutter-autoloads mule-util appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs anaconda-mode xref project pythonic f dash s
anaconda-mode-autoloads pythonic-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
eldoc-eval emamux-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads dash-autoloads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu iterator iedit-autoloads
ledger-mode-autoloads wdired dired-extension org-config ob-gnuplot
org-crypt net-utils time winner w3m-wget wget thingatpt wget-sysdep
autotest-mode autoconf-mode paren woman man ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util init-helm helm-fd
epa derived epg epg-config helm-misc helm-apt helm-imenu imenu
helm-elisp-package package url-handlers helm-find helm-org org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-descbinds cus-edit wid-edit helm-ls-git
vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval
edebug backtrace find-func helm-info python tramp-sh
use-package-bind-key bind-key helm-adaptive diminish helm-mode
helm-files tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp auth-source password-cache json map helm-buffers
helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec
helm-utils helm-help helm-types use-package-diminish
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-config helm-autoloads helm easy-mmode
async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-source
eieio-compat eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs helm-multi-match helm-lib
dired-async advice dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs async emms-autoloads
cl-seq use-package-core popup-autoloads finder-inf diminish-autoloads
mb-depth server edmacro kmacro avoid cus-start cus-load
use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads info
cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq byte-opt straight subr-x cl-macs gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 599805 404657)
 (symbols 48 41981 3)
 (strings 32 167881 57520)
 (string-bytes 1 6426344)
 (vectors 16 82748)
 (vector-slots 8 1666976 230836)
 (floats 8 1795 3081)
 (intervals 56 6849 3252)
 (buffers 1000 130))

-- 
Thierry