Subject: bug#44486: closed (Re: bug#44486: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 12:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44486: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44486: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44486
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44486: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 14:43:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 22:07:10 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> We don't specify that prefer-utf-8, which is used by default for *.el
> files, should heed this variable.  Since prefer-utf-8 is a variant of
> 'undecided', i.e. it performs detection of encoding, I think this is a
> bug, because 'undecided' does pay attention to
> inhibit-null-byte-detection.
> 
> So I propose the change below (for master).  Any objections?

No objections, so I have now installed this on the master branch, and
I'm closing this bug report.

Subject: 27.1; C-@ chars corrupt elisp buffer
From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 16:11:28 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1) emacs -Q
2) M-x find-file test.el
3) insert this in test.el buffer:
;; ààààà
(foo "^@")
4) save buffer
5) M-x revert-buffer

You should see now the line ;; ààààà corrupted:

NOTE: in 3) Write "^@" with C-q C-@.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30, cairo version 1.15.10)
 of 2020-08-31 built on IPadS340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Linux Mint 19.3

Recent messages:
Sending...
Sending via mail...
Decrypting /home/thierry/.authinfo.gpg...done
Sending email  
Sending email done
Saving file /home/thierry/Maildir/Posteo/Sent/cur/1604674326.396ddaa78615bfbe.ipads340:2,S...
Wrote /home/thierry/Maildir/Posteo/Sent/cur/1604674326.396ddaa78615bfbe.ipads340:2,S
Sending...done
[mu4e] Message sent
Do you want to exit emacs-w3m? (y or n) y

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O3 --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-mailutils --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Ilisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-autosave-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-ff-cache-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug w3m-filter w3m-cookie w3m-tabmenu w3m-session
w3m-search helm-w3m w3m-bookmark gnutls epa-file network-stream nsm
mailalias helm-ring helm-dabbrev autocrypt-message epa-mail helm-firefox
magit-extras face-remap magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff smerge-mode
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode git-commit transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit add-log with-editor qp view sort
gnus-cite smiley w3m-form w3m-symbol w3m timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-favicon w3m-image tab-line w3m-proc w3m-util
mm-archive mail-extr autocrypt-gnus autocrypt-mu4e autocrypt rx
addressbook-bookmark mu4e-config org-mu4e gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util mu4e
mu4e-org mu4e-main mu4e-view mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-context
mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark
mu4e-proc mu4e-utils doc-view image-mode exif mu4e-lists mu4e-message
shr svg dom flow-fill hl-line mu4e-vars message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mu4e-meta helm-x-files
helm-for-files helm-bookmark bookmark text-property-search pp
helm-command flymake-proc flymake warnings conf-mode sh-script smie
executable jka-compr bug-reference naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
hol-loaddefs tv-utils undo-tree diff undo-tree-autoloads ligature
ligature-autoloads boxquote rect rainbow-mode-autoloads psession
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile wgrep-helm-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
log-view pcvs-util pcmpl-git pcmpl-git-autoloads
bash-completion-autoloads powerline powerline-separators color
powerline-themes powerline-autoloads toc-org-autoloads cl-indent pcase
ffap markdown-toc-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads autocrypt-autoloads
config-w3m w3m-autoloads git-gutter git-gutter-autoloads mule-util appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs anaconda-mode xref project pythonic f dash s
anaconda-mode-autoloads pythonic-autoloads f-autoloads s-autoloads
eldoc-eval emamux-autoloads magit-autoloads git-commit-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads transient-autoloads dash-autoloads
pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu iterator iedit-autoloads
ledger-mode-autoloads wdired dired-extension org-config ob-gnuplot
org-crypt net-utils time winner w3m-wget wget thingatpt wget-sysdep
autotest-mode autoconf-mode paren woman man ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util init-helm helm-fd
epa derived epg epg-config helm-misc helm-apt helm-imenu imenu
helm-elisp-package package url-handlers helm-find helm-org org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-descbinds cus-edit wid-edit helm-ls-git
vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval
edebug backtrace find-func helm-info python tramp-sh
use-package-bind-key bind-key helm-adaptive diminish helm-mode
helm-files tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ls-lisp auth-source password-cache json map helm-buffers
helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep helm-regexp format-spec
helm-utils helm-help helm-types use-package-diminish
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-config helm-autoloads helm easy-mmode
async-bytecomp helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu helm-source
eieio-compat eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs helm-multi-match helm-lib
dired-async advice dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs async emms-autoloads
cl-seq use-package-core popup-autoloads finder-inf diminish-autoloads
mb-depth server edmacro kmacro avoid cus-start cus-load
use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads info
cl-extra help-mode easymenu seq byte-opt straight subr-x cl-macs gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 599805 404657)
 (symbols 48 41981 3)
 (strings 32 167881 57520)
 (string-bytes 1 6426344)
 (vectors 16 82748)
 (vector-slots 8 1666976 230836)
 (floats 8 1795 3081)
 (intervals 56 6849 3252)
 (buffers 1000 130))

-- 
Thierry