Subject: bug#44483: 27.1.50; Window parameter `min-margins' doesn't split window in half

From: Joost Kremers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 16:00:03 +0100

On Sat, Nov 07 2020, martin rudalics wrote:
> I installed a slightly different fix on the Emacs 27 branch now.  We
> really should have had tested 'min-margins' when Emacs 25 came out but
> IIRC you bowed out in the last minute back then and apparently now you
> have become their first client.  Since the bug shows up only when SIZE
> is unspecified, the recipe I used might not have triggered it then.

AFAIR, the first time I heard about the `min-margins' parameter was when I
looked at the release notes of Emacs 25 after it came out. I don't remember why
I didn't try it out immediately, but after that, I probably forgot about it,
until a bug report I got a week ago.

Paul Rankin did add `min-margins' to his `olivetti' package, but he didn't
remove the pre-25 workaround that uses the `split-window' window parameter, so
the problem probably never showed up.

> In Emacs 28 I intend to remove sanity checks entirely and always
> auto-shrink margins when they don't fit into a window any more.  Windows
> will also have a configurable minimum body width so the behavior seen
> now where the entire buffer text disappears can be easily avoided.

OK, so yet another way of doing things. :-) Sounds like it would make my life a
little easier, though.

Feel free to let me know when you implement it. I don't normally follow
development that closely, but in this case I'd be interested to test the new way
of doing things before the official release.

-- 
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments