Subject: bug#44472: 27.1; emacsclient 27.1 unable to properly start & connect to emacs server via: emacsclient -a '' -c

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 07:10:30 +0200

> From: Al G <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 15:06:52 -0500
> 
> 
> =============================================================================
> [Start of bug report]
> In emacs 27.1, the command:
>    emacsclient -a '' -c  & 
> 
> Doesn't anymore start emacs as a daemon server.

Not on Cygwin, it seems.  This appears to be a Cygwin-specific
problem.

> This is critical, because many people use emacsclient in this manner
> to optionally start the server if it doesn't exist, and simply
> connect to it if it's already running. Please fix this, or at least
> backout the changes that broke emacsclient.

I believe this was recently fixed for the upcoming Emacs 27.2.  If you
can build the latest emacs-27 branch of the Emacs Git repository, I
think you will see that the problem is gone.