Subject: 28.0.50; Dired flagging next file for deleteiion, if on file name with new line

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 17:00:21 +0300

I am using file managers to sometimes delete files on system that may
not be easy deleting when in shell. Server intrusion happens from time
to time and crackers abuse file systems and make files not common for
majority of users, but accessible and allowable by the file system.

Recently by mistake in settings at users directory there was file '~'
and I have deleted it with dired.

Today I have noticed that files with new file names cannot be flagged
for deletion from their second line (after the new line), in fact
Dired would flag wrongly the next file or directory for deletion.

Video is here:
https://gnu.support/images/2020/11/2020-11-05/2020-11-05-13:25:31.ogv

Recommended reading:
https://dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 25, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2020-11-01 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 76d522e59ef03397e15d30bb3b4de3840c917e63
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2020-11-01 --with-modules
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚