Subject: bug#44458: closed (Re: bug#44458: Regenerating testsuite-part.am when a new test case is added)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 02:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44458: Regenerating testsuite-part.am when a new test case is added

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44458: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44458
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44458: Regenerating testsuite-part.am when a new test case is added
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2020 19:13:10 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

    without depending on list-of-tests.mk, the dependencies of new tests
    are not extracted automatically, and so tests that depend on other
    tests can be run in the wrong order

Indeed. For the record (as Reuben already knows :), I was seeing the
same unpredictable behavior wrt the new vala tests (in #13002) not
finding pkg-config.

Thus I have pushed the following change to try to revert that part of
the #11347 change. Fingers crossed.

Thanks much. -k

Subject: Regenerating testsuite-part.am when a new test case is added
From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
To: bug-automake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 01:39:47 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Or, bug #11347 again.

I just spent quite a while chasing down a test failure that was due to
testsuite-part.am not being remade when new tests were added.

I duly found bug #11347, which contains a rationale for not having
testsuite-part.am depend on all the tests.

However, the rationale doesn't seem to explain the reason for removing the
dependency on the *list* of tests. In particular, without depending on
list-of-tests.mk, the dependencies of new tests are not extracted
automatically, and so tests that depend on other tests can be run in the
wrong order (this was exactly my case: I had two new tests that both
depended on pkg-config).

Could the dependency of testsuite-part.am on list-of-tests.mk be reinstated?
-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org