Subject: bug#44452: Clash between guile-3.0 and guile-3.0-latest

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 13:50:30 +0100

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 at 12:48, divoplade <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Le mercredi 02 décembre 2020 à 12:11 +0100, zimoun a écrit :
>> Said explicitly, if you do not want in your profile the package X
>> belonging to %base-packages , do not add the %base-packages list. :-) 
>> Or
>> create your custom list (remove the ones you do not want). I do not
>> see
>> what could done on this side.  The list %base-packages is 40 packages
>> considered as “kind of minimal” to be able to do minimal stuff.
>
> I would disagree on that, it contains guile 3.0.4 instead of 3.0.2.
> 3.0.4 is not used, and prevents the other guile packages that require
> 3.0.2. If it contained 3.0.2 instead, I would 100% agree with what you
> said there.

Again, sorry to be slow.  But I really try to understand. :-) I have
been annoyed by such things about different Guile with the website [1].

What I get with 353bdae (pre-1.2) or f4450e8 (post-1.2):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix install guile -p /tmp/guile
The following package will be installed:
   guile 3.0.4
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

so why are you are saying 3.0.4 is not used when it is the default?

Well, if I understand correctly, your point is the inconsistency between
the default Guile (3.0-latest, i.e., currently 3.0.4) and the Guile
(3.0, i.e., currently 3.0.2) used by most packages in guile-xyz.scm,
especially when there is bytecode difference.  Right?

1:<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/commit/?id=05e384e811ab58f8d7f37ab92cf9dac416317af5>

All the best,
simon