Subject: bug#44450: Issues installing Avogadro

From: Godefroy Vannoye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 19:17:56 +0100

Hi,

First let me apologize if I have missed something, I'm a new user of
guix and know only the basics about compilation processes.

I am using guix on the Arch distribution, and installed it using the
shell installer script. My first tests seem to indicate that guix is
installed properly.

I then tried to install Avogadro, but met the following error when
building it:

make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0/build'
make: *** [Makefile:155: all] Error 2
command "make" "-j" "4" failed with status 2
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0'
builder for
`/gnu/store/pc3pdcpm0mwbfvymwizfs14mdfb6qa5x-avogadro-1.2.0.drv' failed
with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/pc3pdcpm0mwbfvymwizfs14mdfb6qa5x-avogadro-1.2.0.drv
failed

I retried to build it by running guix build avogadro -K to look at the
makefile and found at line 155

cd /tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0/build && $(MAKE) -f
CMakeFiles/Makefile2 libavogadro/all

This is the first line of the makefile where $(MAKE) appears, but I
could not find where it was defined (I suppose it is defined as make
-j4, but it is not explicit in the makefile or in
environment-variables). This makes me assume that the error comes from
the $(MAKE), but I'm not knowledgeable enough to verify it.

Feel free to ask me anything or to explain me what I could have done wrong.

Thank you for your work and for your time,

Godefroy Vannoye