Subject: bug#44450: closed (Re: bug#44450: Issues installing Avogadro)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 04:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44450: Issues installing Avogadro

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44450: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44450
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44450: Issues installing Avogadro
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Cc: Godefroy Vannoye <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 00:05:09 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear,
>
> Thank you for the report.
>
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 at 19:17, Godefroy Vannoye <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> First let me apologize if I have missed something, I'm a new user of
>> guix and know only the basics about compilation processes.
>
> Welcome! :-)
>
>
>> I am using guix on the Arch distribution, and installed it using the
>> shell installer script. My first tests seem to indicate that guix is
>> installed properly.
>
> The Guix Data Service indicates that the package avogrado is broken.
>
> https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/avogadro/output-history

We now have avogradro2, which builds correctly.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim

Subject: Issues installing Avogadro
From: Godefroy Vannoye <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 19:17:56 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

First let me apologize if I have missed something, I'm a new user of
guix and know only the basics about compilation processes.

I am using guix on the Arch distribution, and installed it using the
shell installer script. My first tests seem to indicate that guix is
installed properly.

I then tried to install Avogadro, but met the following error when
building it:

make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0/build'
make: *** [Makefile:155: all] Error 2
command "make" "-j" "4" failed with status 2
note: keeping build directory `/tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0'
builder for
`/gnu/store/pc3pdcpm0mwbfvymwizfs14mdfb6qa5x-avogadro-1.2.0.drv' failed
with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/pc3pdcpm0mwbfvymwizfs14mdfb6qa5x-avogadro-1.2.0.drv
failed

I retried to build it by running guix build avogadro -K to look at the
makefile and found at line 155

cd /tmp/guix-build-avogadro-1.2.0.drv-0/build && $(MAKE) -f
CMakeFiles/Makefile2 libavogadro/all

This is the first line of the makefile where $(MAKE) appears, but I
could not find where it was defined (I suppose it is defined as make
-j4, but it is not explicit in the makefile or in
environment-variables). This makes me assume that the error comes from
the $(MAKE), but I'm not knowledgeable enough to verify it.

Feel free to ask me anything or to explain me what I could have done wrong.

Thank you for your work and for your time,

Godefroy Vannoye