Subject: Re: bug#44391: "c-u 7 c-a" same as "c-u 7 c-n" EMACS 27.1

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 16:32:03 +0100

Rafael Gramoschi <[email-masked]> writes:

> EMACS 27.1 WINDOWS 10
> Is this normal behaviour?
>
> if I type C-u and then I type 7 in the box and then I press the combo C-a it should
> go for 7 times to the same start of line, but it does what "c-u 7 c-n" does.

If you wonder what a command does, look at the command's doc string
(via, for instance, `C-h k C-a').  It usually explains most things:

-----

C-a runs the command move-beginning-of-line (found in global-map),
which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘simple.el’.

It is bound to C-a, <home>.

(move-beginning-of-line ARG)

Move point to visible beginning of current logical line.
This disregards any invisible newline characters.

With argument ARG not nil or 1, move forward ARG - 1 lines first.
If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
(But if the buffer doesn’t end in a newline, it stops at the
beginning of the last line.)

-----

There doesn't seem to be a bug here, so I'm closing this report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no