Subject: [bug#44354] [PATCH] gnu: gnome-deskop-service-type: Set GUIX_GTK*_IM_MODULE_FILE.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 11:58:56 +0200

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 04.05.2021, 09:46 +0200 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
>> Hi Leo,
>> 
>> I haven’t been able to get ibus-libpinyin to work even when 
>> these 
>> variables are set.  I know that these variables used to work 
>> once.
> "Used to work" in what sense?  Did ibus-libpinyin work for you 
> or
> someone else with these variables set and now it's no longer 
> working?

Yes.

IIRC I patched GTK back in the day to respect these extra 
variables.  I did that because that made things work.  This 
predates at least two upgrades to Gnome and the decision on 
Gnome’s part to “integrate” ibus more tightly; I don’t know 
exactly when things broke because all I know is that when I 
returned to Guix after a months-long hiatus things no longer 
worked.

>> I don’t know if setting them is the correct thing to do for 
>> Gnome. 
>> This patch would also only work for system-wide installations 
>> of 
>> input methods.  Input methods that have been installed in a 
>> user 
>> profile would not be part of the cache files.
> I'm not sure we can expect things to "just work" with ibus in 
> the user
> profile.  As far as I'm aware, we don't expect GDM to find the 
> user's
> custom gnome installation without some hacking on their part, so 
> I
> don't understand why we would expect GNOME to find ibus in a 
> similar
> setup.

Because it worked just like that before.

Ibus should be a user process with user configuration.  This is 
not inherently global, so only making it work with globally 
installed input methods is a restriction that I think we should 
aim to do without.

-- 
Ricardo