Subject: bug#44338: 27.1; EWW can't download and view pdf

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:43:51 +0000

Nicholas Harrison <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using the EWW browser, I can navigate around to webpages, but navigating
> to a pdf fails. It appears to download an unreadable pdf. Downloading
> and viewing the pdf manually in emacs (pdf-view-mode) works fine.
>
> I've tried these solutions to no avail:
> - Adding "application/pdf; emacsclient %s" to a ~/.mailcap file. This
>   makes the process hang indefinitely.
> - Running the following elisp code:
>   `(add-to-list 'mailcap-user-mime-data
>                  '((type . "application/pdf")
>                    (viewer . pdf-view-mode)))`
>   This doesn't seem to have an effect.

Seems to have been fixed on master:

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x eww RET https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html RET
3. C-s extra pdf RET RET

This opens the "Specialized Emacs Features" manual in a *eww pdf* buffer
in doc-view-mode.

With PDF Tools and the mailcap-user-mime-data setting above installed,
it opens in pdf-view-mode instead.

I'm surprised the setting for mailcap-user-mime-data is needed though,
since pdf-view-mode appears before doc-view-mode in both
mailcap-mime-data and my version of auto-mode-alist.

Lars?

-- 
Basil