Subject: Re: bug#44338: 27.1; EWW can't download and view pdf

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 16:50:43 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Right, I'm only talking about the case when pdf-view-mode (from the
>> pdf-tools package on MELPA) is installed.
>
> Just to check -- you didn't install pdf-view-mode between the first and
> second test, by any chance?  Then that would explain why it started
> working with the seemingly superfluous add-to-list...

Here's what I'm doing, with the pdf-tools package already installed
under package-user-dir:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-x package-initialize RET
2. M-x pdf-tools-install RET
   (this autoloads pdf-view-mode, registers it on auto-mode-alist, etc.)
3. M-x eww RET https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html RET
4. C-s extra pdf RET RET

This uses doc-view-mode, whereas C-x C-f path/to/pdf RET uses
pdf-view-mode.

-- 
Basil