Subject: bug#44333: 27.1; macOS menu bar 2-clicks

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 17:28:43 +0000

On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 11:50:32AM +0100, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> > If anyone else has a simpler solution I'd love to hear it.
> 
> Maybe we are overthinking it. I don't think the Cocoa event loop
> really is running in a different thread. Anecdotal evidence
> (printf!) indicates that it isn't.

On the Mac port? It certainly isn't on the NS port... I don't think
the Mac port even really uses the Cocoa event loop, although I could
easily be wrong.

> (https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=32864#38 has a
> previous investigation into the matter.)
> 
> I just did the simplest thing possible and it works (with a slight
> latency at times, but perhaps tolerable). I'd like to know what's
> wrong with running Lisp in the event loop. It does appear safe to
> me.

We used to have a *lot* of crashes that were related to the event loop
and lisp and so on, but if you're confident it isn't a problem feel
free to propose a patch and we can give it a go on master.

-- 
Alan Third