Subject: Re: bug#44333: 27.1; macOS menu bar 2-clicks

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 15:01:01 +0000

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 03:08:14PM +0100, Mattias Engdegård wrote:
> > IIRC you need to add Ruby to the accessibility permissions group in
> > the privacy settings.
> 
> What are the privacy/security implications of doing so?

I have no idea.

> Since the Mac port reportedly doesn't suffer from this problem,
> could we learn from it and do the same?

IIRC the problem is due to the reposting of the menu click event so
the menu can be populated when lisp is running. The Mac port doesn't
have this problem most probably because it's a completely different
architecture but it has the GUI and lisp parts split into two separate
threads which is one way I can see of fixing this.

I'm not keen on doing the complete overhaul required because I'll
likely introduce more bugs than I'll fix, and I'm pretty sure my next
computer isn't going to be a Mac. Introducing lots of bugs then
running doesn't seem like a good approach.

If anyone else has a simpler solution I'd love to hear it.
-- 
Alan Third