Subject: 27.1; macOS drag and drop bug

From: hyunggyu jang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:07:36 +0900

I'd like to drag and drop some text from other applications, like mail
or Chrome, to current buffer I'm using. So, I've tried to do that, and
nothing happened, which is awkward since when it comes to files in
the Finder, it works as expected, i.e. open that file in that buffer.

To narrow down where the discrepancy started, I triggered describe key
command and do the drag and drop with the file in the Finder, it
was detected as <drag-n-drop>. However, for the text, it couldn't detect
any command, that is, no response at all.

And when I drag and drop the text, the stderr output in terminal spits
out "Invalid data type in dragging pasteboard."

I think this problem is relevant with NSPasteboard of macOS, but I don't
know well about that, so, I couldn't do further research.

Thanks for all your help.

Jang

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60 Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
of 2020-08-12 built on builder10-14.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.6

Recent messages:
Indentation variables are now local.
Indentation setup for shell type bash
Mark set [2 times]
cl--assertion-failed: Assertion failed: (<= start (point)), #<marker at 6030 in inbox.org>, 6027 [2 times]
Saving file /Users/hynggyujang/Dropbox/org/inbox.org...
Wrote /Users/hynggyujang/Dropbox/org/inbox.org
Priority of current item set to B
Priority of current item set to C
Saving file /Users/hynggyujang/Dropbox/org/inbox.org...
Wrote /Users/hynggyujang/Dropbox/org/inbox.org

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES
THREADS JSON PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_KR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/hynggyujang/.emacs.d/elpa/xref-1.0.3/xref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/xref
/Users/hynggyujang/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.5.2/project hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/project
/Users/hynggyujang/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.0.9/flymake hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/Users/hynggyujang/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.11.0/eldoc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail sh-script smie executable
ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum shr svg xml
dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mail-utils
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs
ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher eglot array
filenotify jsonrpc ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode xref
flymake-proc flymake thingatpt warnings compile pcase project imenu
org-download org-element avl-tree generator org-attach org-id org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat advice
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs url-http url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-gw nsm rmc puny
async recentf tree-widget wid-edit windmove finder-inf info package
easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 335498 30559)
(symbols 48 27919 1)
(strings 32 120903 5112)
(string-bytes 1 3477032)
(vectors 16 49899)
(vector-slots 8 1318249 230300)
(floats 8 215 98)
(intervals 56 812 0)
(buffers 1000 15))