Subject: md5sum (and other *sum utils) path dependent output

From: Alessandro Forghieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:41:03 +0100

Greetings.

Just stumbled upon this:

*# md5sum
./Development/rss/rss/STAGING/BATTITI_del_27_11_2016_-_Battiti_Live:_Arsene_Duevi\\Roberto_Zanisi.mp3
\d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e 
./Development/rss/rss/STAGING/BATTITI_del_27_11_2016_-_Battiti_Live:_Arsene_Duevi\\Roberto_Zanisi.mp3*

*# cp
./Development/rss/rss/STAGING/BATTITI_del_27_11_2016_-_Battiti_Live:_Arsene_Duevi\\Roberto_Zanisi.mp3
/tmp/qlo
# md5sum /tmp/qlo
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e  /tmp/qlo**
*

IE, in the first instance a '\' character is prepended to the output.
The file itself is an empty file, so I guess the file content is
irrelevant to the apparent bug.

Running coreutils-8.31-6.fc30.x86_64 on Linux 5.6.13-100.fc30.x86_64+debug

To communicate, cc me, as I am not a ML subscriber.

Cheers,

-- 
Alessandro Forghieri
Nouvelle s.r.l.
via Giardini 456/C 41124 Modena  (ITALY)
tel. +39 059 2929338 - Fax +39 059 347606