Subject: bug#44307: 27.1; UTF-8 parts transferred as 8bit in multipart messages fail to decode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:27:23 +0100

Alexandre Duret-Lutz <[email-masked]> writes:

> After "make bootstrap", this seems to fix only the rendering of
> text/html utf-8 parts (I'm using w3m, if that matters).  However
> text/plain utf-8 parts are still garbled as they where before.

Yeah, it was a long shot.  What about the following patch?

diff --git a/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir.el b/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir.el
index e4fd976742..59926991b3 100644
--- a/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir.el
+++ b/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir.el
@@ -1351,7 +1351,8 @@ nnmaildir-request-article
 	(throw 'return nil))
       (with-current-buffer (or to-buffer nntp-server-buffer)
 	(erase-buffer)
-	(nnheader-insert-file-contents nnmaildir-article-file-name))
+	(let ((nnheader-file-coding-system nnmail-file-coding-system))
+	  (nnheader-insert-file-contents nnmaildir-article-file-name)))
       (cons gname num-msgid))))
 
 (defun nnmaildir-request-post (&optional _server)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no