Subject: bug#443: [Fwd: emacs installation - segmentation fault during unexec]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:59:35 +0200

Hello,

My deepest apologies for trying to send such a mail, I should have 
thought about it first (sometimes, we are doing stupid things).

Anyway, I tried again with emacs-22.2 and the same problem occurs with 
approximatively the same backtrace, i.e:

#0  0x0026a17c in memcpy () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x0817d5a6 in unexec (new_name=0x857d414 
"/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/work/emacs-22.2/src/emacs",
     old_name=0x857d450 
"/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/work/emacs-22.2/src/temacs", 
data_start=137491440, bss_start=0, entry_address=0)
     at unexelf.c:951
#2  0x080ec068 in Fdump_emacs (filename=140370971, symfile=140370955) at 
emacs.c:2286
#3  0x08153bca in Feval (form=138175205) at eval.c:2327
#4  0x08153f9f in Fprogn (args=138175541) at eval.c:449
#5  0x08153db2 in Feval (form=138180437) at eval.c:2271
#6  0x08153db2 in Feval (form=138182397) at eval.c:2271
#7  0x0816c429 in readevalloop (readcharfun=137994313, stream=0x83c2088, 
sourcename=138157243, evalfun=0x8153820 <Feval>, printflag=0,
     unibyte=137926857, readfun=137926857, start=137926857, 
end=137926857) at lread.c:1559
#8  0x0816da7c in Fload (file=Variable "file" is not available.
) at lread.c:1027
#9  0x08153c39 in Feval (form=137911717) at eval.c:2338
#10 0x080f3ab3 in top_level_2 () at keyboard.c:1339
#11 0x0815316b in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x80f3aa0 <top_level_2>, 
handlers=137972361, hfun=0x80f71c0 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1484
#12 0x080f65b1 in top_level_1 () at keyboard.c:1347
#13 0x0815322c in internal_catch (tag=137968545, func=0x80f6580 
<top_level_1>, arg=137926857) at eval.c:1224
#14 0x080f6fea in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1304
#15 0x080f7398 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:1007
#16 0x080f7485 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:1068
#17 0x080ed362 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0xa1c00
) at emacs.c:1770

Here is only the relevant information (to me, the other information is 
clueless since the problem occurs during emacs build) you requested:

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
  of 2008-06-26 on lxhesf01
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version 
11.0.40300000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated' 
'--exec-prefix=/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/libexec/emacs-22.2' 
'--mandir=/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/man' '--with-xpm' 'CFLAGS=-g 
-O2' 'LDFLAGS= 
-L/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/work/emacs-22.2/xpm-3.4k/lib' 
'CPPFLAGS=-I/tmp/esf_emacs-22.2/generated/work/emacs-22.2/xpm-3.4k ''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: C
   locale-coding-system: nil
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

Hope this information will help.
Also note that the problem seems to appear randomly so you might have to 
run the installation several times if you need to reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your concern.

Regards,
Pierre-Louis ESCOUFLAIRE

____

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.