Subject: Re: bug#44273: "total used in directory 19 available 5.2 GiB"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:43:19 +0100

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

>>  total used in directory 19 available 5.2 GiB What does that mean, 19 GiB? 
>
> Dan, you are absolutely right. It's terrible but it cannot be fixed
> and the useless number (19) cannot even be removed. Sorry.

Indeed.  Well, it can be made more comprehensible:

total used in directory: 19 units; free space on disk: 5.2 GiB

(with a help tooltips on the units).

But I really don't know why dired displays this stuff at all.  It seems
irrelevant: The "total" is incomprehensible in any case, and the free
space stuff isn't something I've asked for: If I want to know, it's just
a standard command away.

So I think the line should just be removed; perhaps with a defcustom
(defaulting to off).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no