Subject: bug#44250: Document what value of fill-column disables it

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 11:58:37 +0800

These should mention what value of fill-column disables it.

And if there are multiple values that could disable it, which is more
efficient.

Or, if disabling fill-column is to be achieved by other means, than
tampering with fill-column, then mention them.

Thank you.

(info "(emacs) Fill Commands")

   The maximum line width for filling is specified by the buffer-local
variable ‘fill-column’.  The default value (*note Locals::) is 70.  The
easiest way to set ‘fill-column’ in the current buffer is to use the
command ‘C-x f’ (‘set-fill-column’).  With a numeric argument, it uses
that as the new fill column.  With just ‘C-u’ as argument, it sets
‘fill-column’ to the current horizontal position of point.

fill-column is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Original value was 70

  Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
  This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
  satisfies the predicate ‘integerp’.
  You can customize this variable.
  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 18.

Documentation:
Column beyond which automatic line-wrapping should happen.
Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.

(Breaking off this into a separate bug from #44232.)
emacs-version "27.1"