Subject: bug#44239: closed (Re: bug#44239: [PATCH] Python double-digit version detection broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 21:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44239: [PATCH] Python double-digit version detection broken

which was filed against the automake package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44239: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44239
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44239: [PATCH] Python double-digit version detection broken
From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 15:36:50 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

    The patch is https://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/churchyard/rpms/automake/raw/f8af40fe1fa92a3ea0a1520a9d5f0797d0019f0f/f/automake-1.16.2-python-version-multiple-digits.patch

Thanks, I pushed it with some minor additional documentation updates.

    python3.10 -c 'import sys; print("%u.%u" % sys.version_info[:2])'

I also changed the invocation in python.m4 to be this (what you put in
t/python-vars.sh), instead of the sys.stdout.write('%d.%d') which you
had (following what was there before). Seemed better to have the two
invocations be exactly the same. At least, I couldn't discern any reason
why not, or any difference in the result, barring version numbers too
big to fit in signed integers :). --thanks, karl.

Subject: [PATCH] Python double-digit version detection broken
From: Patrik Novotny <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 14:00:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

we have encountered an issue[1] with the python double-digit version
detection.

The used `sys.version[:3]` used in automake strips digits from the python
version. For example '3.10' is detected as '3.1'.

To fix this issue, `sys.version[:3]` is changed to `sys.version_info[:2]`
in the attached patch.

Version: 1.16.2
How to reproduce: Use automake with python 3.10 (or any double-digit
version)

More details can be found in the bugzilla below if needed.

[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1889732

--
Patrik Novotný
Associate Software Engineer
Red Hat
[email-masked]