Subject: Re: bug#44216: 28.0.50; Incorret during delete in Tramp: Trashing...done

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 12:59:26 +0100

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

>> > Not universal for every OSs. Freedesktop specification is exclusively
>> > for GNU/Linux which accept parts or whole of Freedesktop, yet there
>> > are those which do not.
>>
>> GNU/Linux is the primary target for Emacs. It is perfect to support its spec.
>
> Freedesktop.org is not equivalent to GNU/Linux.
>
> It is maybe popular but it is not and need not be standard.
>
> From: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/
>
> Interoperability specifications
>
> freedesktop.org produces specifications for interoperability, but we
> are not an official standards body. There is no requirement for
> projects to implement all of these specifications, nor certification.
>
> so
>
> GNU/Linux distributions may decide to adhere or may not.
>
> I hope you that Emacs should NOT be exclusively target for GNU/Linux
> distributions adopting some of specifications from Freedesktop.org as
> Emacs is widely used for example on BSD systems.

Emacs does not exclusively target for GNU/Linux systems. Every user is
free to set trash-directory to whatever value. For every platform, a
system specific system-move-file-to-trash function can be implemented,
it exists already for w32.

> Tramp may access remote files by using FTP, rsync, scp, and other
> protocols, I just hope that trash inclusion is not intertwined in
> those protocols where remote command execution would not even work.

I've implemented trashing to local trash for whatever connection
protocol (except ftp, because it has its own implementation,
ange-ftp.el). Just pushed to master.

Could you, pls check?

Best regards, Michael.