Subject: bug#44217: none

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:27:31 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Path=/ssh%3aford%3a/tmp/aaa
>>>
>>> This will be unexpected, at least for tools which try to restore trashed
>>> files.
>>
>> Yes, perhaps the .trashinfo file shouldn't be created in these
>> instances...
>
> It is created according to the XDG spec. We shouldn't fail to do it. And
> maybe, Emacs will add an own trash recovery function, which would be
> able to handle such remote paths?

I was mainly worried about confusing other programs that look at
trash -- will they have strange issues when confronted by these Path
entries?  

> We must be consistent. A remote trash command will move the file to the
> remote trash can. Tramp, using move-file-to-trash, will move the file to
> the local trash can. A user couldn't know, whether a trash can for a
> remote file will be located locally or remotely. So we shall use either
> a remote or a local trash can, and not mixed.

Yeah, consistency would be good here, so just using the local trash can
is probably the best option.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no