Subject: Re: bug#44211: 26.3; Repeated `` and '' in Info (eintr)`GNU Free Documentation License'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:03:53 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 19:07:28 -0600
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > But the markup seems correct.  Is this a bug in makeinfo perhaps?
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > It is not a bug.  That's what @example does.
> 
> So should we replace this with “ and ” or should we close this as
> wontfix?

This is a legal blurb we have in all our manuals, so the format there
should be identical and coordinated with the FSF.

But wait a minute: I don't think I understand the bug report anymore,
because of 2 reasons:

  . the Texinfo source uses @quotation, not @example, so I'm unsure
    why I mentioned @example in my response, likely a mistake on my
    part;
  . more importantly, the text in the Info file uses “..” quoting

So I now tend to think that Drew was looking at an old version of Info
manuals, which were produced by makeinfo before we started using UTF-8
encoding as the default output encoding of our manuals, and that is
the reason for the original issue.

If I'm right, the bug should be closed as being fixed long ago.