Subject: RE: bug#44211: 26.3; Repeated `` and '' in Info (eintr)`GNU Free Documentation License'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 13:11:03 -0700 (PDT)

> > But the markup seems correct.  Is this a bug in makeinfo perhaps?
> 
> It is not a bug.  That's what @example does.

OK, not a bug.  Does that mean that this is what
we want users to see, as the final rendering of
this particular text?  If so, I wonder what the
reason for that is.

Here's an occurrence of ``...'' that I think is
understandable, in (emacs) `Inserting Text':

 In addition, in some contexts, if you type a quotation using grave
 accent and apostrophe '`like this'', it is converted to a form 'like
 this' using single quotation marks, even without 'C-x 8' commands.
 Similarly, typing a quotation '``like this''' using double grave accent
 and apostrophe converts it to a form "like this" using double quotation
 marks.  *Note Quotation Marks::.

And this one, in (emacs) `Org Authoring':

     #+begin_quote
     ``This is a quote.''
     #+end_quote

And this, in (emacs) `TeX Editing':

 In TeX, the character '"' is not normally used; instead, quotations
 begin with '``' and end with ''''.  TeX mode therefore binds the '"' key
 to the 'tex-insert-quote' command.  This inserts '``' after whitespace
 or an open brace, '"' after a backslash, and '''' after any other
 character.

 As a special exception, if you type '"' when the text before point is
 either '``' or '''', Emacs replaces that preceding text with a single
 '"' character.  You can therefore type '""' to insert '"', should you
 ever need to do so.  (You can also use 'C-q "' to insert this
 character.)

But I don't understand the reported case, unless
"in a document" means only some particular kind
of source document that will be handled in a way
that transforms ``...'' into something else.