Subject: Re: [bug#44208] [PATCH 1/3] gnu: netcdf: Update to 4.7.4.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 16:12:34 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I'd always start at Patchwork, so https://patchwork.cbaines.net/ . You
>> might be able to spot it in the list, but you can also search by
>> clicking on "Show patches with" in the top left [1].
>>
>> 1: https://patchwork.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/?series=&submitter=&state=&q=44208&archive=&delegate=
>
> OK, this one is now empty, but I guess that’s expected.
>
> Of the 5 “checks” that appear on each page, ‘cbaines/applying patch’ is
> really just about applying the patch to ‘master’, right?  And
> ‘cbaines/submitting builds’ is about actually building things?

Yeah, the applying patch check reflects something about Git's success at
applying the patch, which happens in the Laminar job which is linked
to. Sometimes the check will fail, but a branch is still created, and
sometimes it'll fail and no branch will be created. Applying patches is
a hard problem.

As for the submitting builds check, that's reported by the script that
submits the builds to the coordinator instance being used. So yes, it'll
appear when the builds are submitted, and hopefully it doesn't take too
long for the builds to happen.

> It’s surprising because when you go the comparison page, sometimes you
> can see that builds are scheduled, so we don’t yet whether it has
> succeeded.  But my understanding is that the Patchwork UI will only
> display whether a build has been submitted, not whether it has
> succeeded, correct?

Indeed. It's possible to feed information about the build results back
in to Patchwork, but that'll require polling/watching the build results
as they're fed back to the Guix Data Service, I'm also not sure how
flexible Patchwork checks are.

> We need a hands-on session.  :-)

Yeah, next on my list of things is to actually send an email out about
the recent changes, but I can hopefully do more with this patch review
stuff over the next month or two.

My innovation for today is including some indication of build statuses
on the package derivation comparision page, and excitingly builds are
starting to happen for patches that I'm looking at (like [1] and [2]).

1: https://data.guix-patches.cbaines.net/compare/package-derivations?base_commit=c15509682f931f8afbe2d71ccdef278454c53774&target_commit=d9a510a2b972b90f8efed9172608f8e0d22768d1&locale=en_US.UTF-8
2: https://data.guix-patches.cbaines.net/compare/package-derivations?base_commit=1c6d98533153bc8e0e36236e7fbcf1eb5e178d26&target_commit=8335d68660ce8813b6bbf515e40ed01cae4e7fb7&locale=en_US.UTF-8