Subject: Re: bug#44204: Emacs --with-xwidgets complains under Ubuntu 20.04

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 10:25:23 -0700

On 10/24/20 10:51 PM, Bhavin Gandhi wrote:

>> (make-xwidget 'webkit "title" 500 500 '())
>
> I tried executing the above line in the *scratch* buffer, nothing
> happens (emacs -Q). Is it expected behavior?

Yes, it's just a trivial example that doesn't do anything. The point is that the 
xwidget startup causes the diagnostics that I mentioned, on Ubuntu 20.04.

> I don't see any errors in
> the terminal as well. I'm running under wayland on GNOME 3.36.7 and
> Fedora 32.

Yes, I was wrong when I fingered Wayland in the original bug report. I've 
retitled the bug report to say "under Ubuntu 20.04" rather than "under Wayland".

For what it's worth, Ubuntu 20.04 ships Emacs 26.3 without enabling xwidgets, so 
the bug is not present in /usr/bin/emacs.

Also, I have not tested the Emacs 27.1 that Ubuntu makes available as a snap, 
but that snap outputs such a blizzard of other diagnostics, that I expect nobody 
would care anyway. See:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs/+bug/1898083

I am getting the impression that Ubuntu no longer cares about Emacs; if that's 
true, I suppose I should stop using Ubuntu.