Subject: bug#44202: [PATCH] Add variable to control confirmation of help-mode-revert-buffer

From: Kevin Foley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:05:03 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I am a bit worried about incompatibles by hoisting that code up to
> `revert-buffer'...

Fair point, that probably isn't a good approach.

> `help-mode' does bind `g' to `revert-buffer'?  So I think I don't quite
> understand what you're asking.

Never mind, I was mistaken about which function was bound.

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I've looked at some of the different usages of `revert-buffer-function',
>> and the help-functions one seems to be an outlier -- very few of the
>> non-file ones ask at all (I haven't found one yet, but I've only looked
>> at a handful).  Which makes me wonder why the *Help* one does?  I've
>> always found that pretty odd.  What's the use case for prompting the
>> user when the user hits `g' here?
>
> Thank you for looking into this more deeply.  I think not prompting
> here could work, unless there is some important reason not to.

I agree, I've never found this useful which was the inspiration for the
original patch.

So would the solution be to remove the prompt all together?  Or would it
the approach used in the patch to provide an option to control it
specifically for *Help*?

Kevin Foley