Subject: bug#44202: [PATCH] Add variable to control confirmation of help-mode-revert-buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:22:40 +0100

Kevin Foley <[email-masked]> writes:

> I could update `revert-buffer' to include the logic for IGNORE-AUTO and
> NOCONFIRM that are used in `revert-buffer--default' with some additional
> logic to handle buffers without associated files.

Let's see...  That would be this bit from --default, I guess:

            ((or noconfirm
                 (and (not (buffer-modified-p))
                      (catch 'found
                        (dolist (regexp revert-without-query)
                          (when (string-match regexp file-name)
                            (throw 'found t)))))
                 (yes-or-no-p (format "Revert buffer from file %s? "
                                      file-name)))

I am a bit worried about incompatibles by hoisting that code up to
`revert-buffer'...

I've looked at some of the different usages of `revert-buffer-function',
and the help-functions one seems to be an outlier -- very few of the
non-file ones ask at all (I haven't found one yet, but I've only looked
at a handful).  Which makes me wonder why the *Help* one does?  I've
always found that pretty odd.  What's the use case for prompting the
user when the user hits `g' here?

> I believe that would also require changing `help-mode' to use
> `revert-buffer-function' and `revert-buffer' instead of binding
> `help-mode-revert-buffer', right?

`help-mode' does bind `g' to `revert-buffer'?  So I think I don't quite
understand what you're asking.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no