Subject: Re: bug#44202: [PATCH] Add variable to control confirmation of help-mode-revert-buffer

From: Kevin Foley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:08:07 -0400

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> But...  I think it would be helpful if help-mode-revert-buffer (and
>> other similar functions) did heed that variable -- then there'd be one
>> simple way to control all this.
>
> Agreed.  It would seem logical to just be able to say:
>
> (add-to-list 'revert-without-query "\\`\\*Help\\*\\'")

I also agree with this.  I think this was how I originally tried to
solve this problem (it was a while ago) but it didn't seem supported.

>> Or even perhaps have revert-buffer look at that variable and do the
>> right thing instead of punting to revert-buffer--default.
>>
>> That is, it would look at file names for buffers visiting files, and
>> buffer names for other buffers.
>
> If we could get `revert-buffer' to handle this, it seems to me that it
> would be even better.

I could update `revert-buffer' to include the logic for IGNORE-AUTO and
NOCONFIRM that are used in `revert-buffer--default' with some additional
logic to handle buffers without associated files.

Should I leave this logic in `revert-buffer--default' as well or have it
only exist in `revert-buffer'?

I believe that would also require changing `help-mode' to use
`revert-buffer-function' and `revert-buffer' instead of binding
`help-mode-revert-buffer', right?

Kevin Foley