Subject: Re: bug#44202: [PATCH] Add variable to control confirmation of help-mode-revert-buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:50:51 +0100

Kevin Foley <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was trying to match the noconfirm argument of the revert function but
> I agree, `help-mode-revert-buffer-confirm' is less confusing.
>
> I've attached an updated patch.

Thanks.

Looking at the code a bit more, I found it a bit odd that there'd be a
need for this since there are other mechanisms to control this in
general -- revert-without-query, in particular:

---
Optional second argument NOCONFIRM means don't ask for confirmation
at all.  (The variable `revert-without-query' offers another way to
revert buffers without querying for confirmation.)
---

But the problem is that revert-buffer calls help-mode-revert-buffer,
which doesn't heed that variable.

Now, the documentation for revert-without-query says that it's about
reverting files, so on one level that makes sense since the help buffers
don't visit files.

But...  I think it would be helpful if help-mode-revert-buffer (and
other similar functions) did heed that variable -- then there'd be one
simple way to control all this.  Or even perhaps have revert-buffer look
at that variable and do the right thing instead of punting to
revert-buffer--default.

That is, it would look at file names for buffers visiting files, and
buffer names for other buffers.

Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no