Subject: [bug#44197] Disable khal test suite? (was Re: [bug#44197] [PATCH] gnu: khal: Update to 0.10.2.)

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 12:30:05 -0400

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 08:22:13AM +0100, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> > Can you say more about the differences between the machines where it
> > succeeds and fails? It could help us figure out what's going on.
> they are quite different machines unfortunately. One is Gentoo Linux
> running on a Ryzen 5 3600 desktop machine (working), the other one a
> Ubuntu 19.10 on a Thinkpad (Intel Core i5-8250U) Laptop (not working).
> Both have SSD storage and /tmp on a tmpfs.

Interesting that we both get failures on Core i5 processors and
Debian-family operating systems. I am not using the Debian kernel (I
build a variant of the Guix kernel), but I do use the Debian package
tooling to manage it.

> Could there be something leaking into the build environment to make it
> fail consistently on one machine, but not the other one?

Could be, but the question is what? The build environment isolation
doesn't account for things like filesystem, kernel version, time of day
(👀), CPU bugs... besides the common culprit of some race conditions in
the test suite.

Are you using the same kernel versions on your two machines? I guess the
kernel configs likely don't match between them.