Subject: bug#44187: Channel clones lack SWH fallback

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:27:13 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Sept 2021 at 12:05, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> > Does it make sense to pass this ’swhid’ equal to ’swh:1:rev’ with the
> > ’flat’ archive-type?  Another instance is,

[...]

> > and from my understanding, again ’swhid’ depends on ’archive-type’.
> > Therefore, it prone error.
>
> ‘git-bare’ only makes sense for a revision, not a directory, but I

So it does not seem possible to form a 'swhid' as "swh:1:dir" and pass
'archive-type' as 'git-bare'.  And conversely with 'swh:1:rev' and
'flat'.  Right?
I have not tried though. :-)
If yes, it means the both arguments 'swhid' and 'archive-type' are
linked so the function should accept only one unifyied argument and
not 2 independent ones.  IMHO.

> wonder if ‘flat’ can be used for a revision (in which case it’d be
> equivalent to getting the corresponding directory)?
>
> I agree there’s some redundancy between directory/revision and
> flat/git-bare, but it’s the SWH API that looks like this, so I’d be
> tempted to just keep it as is.  Maybe we could ask for guidance on
> #swh-devel.

Well, let postpone the refactoring. :-)  However, if it works as I
understand, then the refactoring seems the correct way so I would not
accept a backward compatibility argument. ;-)

Have a nice week-end,
simon