Subject: Re: bug#44180: 28.0.50; Emacs frames won't redisplay unless resized

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 13:19:45 -0700

On 10/24/20 08:55 AM, martin rudalics wrote:
> I just meant that their 'visibility frame-parameter became 'icon. Their
>> "real" visibility is the same as always -- the two non-focused frames
>> are visible only as stacked title bars above the currently focused frame.
>
> Can you please describe this in more detail.  As I understand it, your
> initial frame looks as usual until you do C-x 5 2.  At that moment, the
> initial frame becomes non-focused and appears as a stacked title bar
> while the new frame becomes focused and appears as expected.  Is that
> right?  Then how does the "fullscreen frames by default" fit into this
> picture and how does a tiling manager use stacking?

Sorry if this wasn't clear. The window manager can display multiple
windows (our frames) tiled into some sort of grid, in which case
everything behaves correctly, or it can allow one of the windows to take
up the full workspace, and other windows are only visible as a sort of
window title bar, either tabbed along the top, or stacked along the top.
I'm attaching a screenshot, that's stacked.

My understanding is that this is *not* equivalent to X11's
iconification or minification, where the window disappears and shows up
as a icon in some notification area. i3 does have a notification bar,
but I wouldn't know how to send a window there. In the screenshotted
situation, i3 provides keybindings for switching focus between the
stacked windows, but I believe in X11 terms, all three windows are meant
to be visible, you're just switching which one is "foremost".

I've got i3 set up to use stacking by default, meaning that as new
windows are created they are added to the stack and displayed on top.
You can also have them tabbed or split by default.

I hope that makes sense. I'd be happy to try to contact an i3 person and
ask them exactly what's happening, in X11 terms.

Thanks,
Eric