Subject: [bug#44178] [PATCH] Create importer for Go modules

From: Katherine Cox-Buday <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2021 08:38:51 -0600

JOULAUD François <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 04:41:18PM -0600, Katherine Cox-Buday wrote:
>> Thanks so much for the patches, Helio, Joulaud!
>
> You're welcome! As a side note I prefer to be adressed as "François"
> ;-)

I'm very sorry, François!

>> I have pushed everything (including Joulaud's patch with appropriate
>> attribution) here[2]. I am admittedly new at using email to organize
>> code changes, but using a forge seems easier.
>
>> Can I suggest we coordinate there, or is that too much of an imposition?
>
> I have no problem to coordinate in a forge and can push in a shared
> branch if you give me access.
>
> Even if I must say I found it refreshing to be able to work with mails. It
> has the nice property of fully-offline and asynchronous communication
> and it helped me to better articulate my problems.

OK, how about we stick to the preferred Guix approach then and
coordinate here. Maybe you can teach me some things along the way :) I
do like the idea of an email-based forge!

The main problems I've had thus far are:

- The inter-diff patch you sent was not formatted correctly because it
  contained some extra leading whitespace. I found myself juggling a few
  different tools just to understand your changes.
  
- The conversation about this seems to be happening in 3 different
  places: here, help-guix, and guix-devel. I guess we should be
  centralizing here.
  
- I don't have any experience coordinating with people in this
  email-style forge. I don't know how the inter-diff patches work with
  attribution, nor how to get everyone on the same page. It seems like
  multiple people are making conflicting changes at once (maybe that's
  just my perception).

-- 
Katherine