Subject: bug#44173: 28.0.50; gdb-mi mangles strings with octal escapes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 20:23:06 +0300

> From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 18:21:53 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> If gdb-mi-decode-strings is non-nil, then file names, string contents etc are properly decoded as UTF-8 as expected

Not UTF-8, but the value of gdb-mi-decode-strings, if it's a
coding-system, right?

> without any of the bugginess of the current code. Otherwise raw bytes are shown as octal escapes, which also fixes the original bug.

I hoped/thought you intended to solve this issue as well, but if the
situation is no worse than it was before, it's fine to leave it at
that.  However, please retain at least part of the comment regarding
gdb-mi-decode-strings and the ambiguity related to its use, I think
it's important that people know that.

And I hope you've verified that this does still fix the problem in
bug#21572, which this variable and the related code tries to fix?

> +       (t
> +        (error "Unrecognised escape char: %c" (following-char))))

How about leaving the text unchanged instead of signaling an error
(and thus preventing the entire data from getting to the higher
levels)?

Thanks.