Subject: bug#44150: 28.0.50; highlight-changes-rotate-faces does not loop

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 12:21:04 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

> The function M-x highlight-changes-rotate-faces
>
> should loop in my opinion, that is what I was expected, it just has few
> faces then it does not loop, I am expecting with the word rotate to go
> back to the first face, but it does not.

The name of the function is slightly confusing, but it's not about
rotating faces at all -- it's about changing the marking of changes that
are at age 1 to age 2 etc.  As the doc string says:

---
Current changes are displayed in the face described by the first element
of `highlight-changes-face-list', one level older changes are shown in
face described by the second element, and so on.  Very old changes remain
shown in the last face in the list.
---

I've now clarified the doc string even more in Emacs 29.  (I considered
renaming the command, but it's a command used in user hooks, so I think
that would be even more confusing.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no