Subject: Re: bug#44128: [feature/native-comp]

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:51:44 +0000

Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Andrea

Hi Jonas!

> [We talked about this briefly on Twitter;
>  https://twitter.com/magit_emacs/status/1313534891506757635.]
>
> When running gccemacs from the git repository without installing but by
> using a symlink like e.g. /usr/local/bin/emacs -> ~/git/emacs/src/emacs,
> then that results in an error like:
>
>   emacs: /usr/local/bin/../native-lisp/<snip>.eln: cannot open shared
>   object file: No such file or directory
>
> You mentioned that this happens because code in pdump[er].c just relies
> on invocation-directory and that you are wonder whether symlinks should
> be followed to address this.
>
>   I think they should. :D

Well I agree :)

I believe the only question is if we want to change
`invocation-directory' to have the link followed or to do that in the
load mechanism.  I guess the second has less impact.

  Andrea