Subject: Re: #44128: [feature/native-comp] When invoking a symlink to the 'emacs' binary Emacs fails to start

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 23:18:44 +1200

On 16/04/21 6:41 pm, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks, but this doesn't provide enough information to understand how
> this Emacs was configured and installed, and AFAICS you didn't supply
> that information up-thread.

It got a bit lost in the scattering of bug IDs, but the following
was my M-x report-emacs-bug from the native-comp Emacs I compiled
initially:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2021-04/msg00560.html

For the subsequent testing I just re-ran 'make install' after applying
each patch.

>   . how was Emacs configured? with what value of --prefix (or other
>     related directory variables, like libdir etc)?

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound --with-native-compilation'

>   . was Emacs installed, and if so, with what command?

make install

>   . what is the full absolute file name of the native-lisp/ directory
>     that this Emacs binary was supposed to find and load?

Seems like this:

/home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local/lib/emacs/28.0.50/native-lisp/28.0.50-abd7aa58/

>   . what is the full absolute file name of the pdumper file for this
>     Emacs binary?

Seems like this:

/home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local/libexec/emacs/28.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/emacs.pdmp

(I'm making assumptions about the last two, but they're the only
possibilities that I can find under my --prefix dir.)