Subject: Re: bug#44128: [feature/native-comp]

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:05:42 +1200

On 16/04/21 1:52 am, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm not sure I see how you reach that conclusion.  Isn't
> /home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local/bin/ on your PATH?

No, it isn't.

/home/phil/bin is in my PATH and the 'emacs' symlink in that
directory points to /home/phil/emacs/native-comp/usr/local/bin/

When I was running 'emacs' that symlink was being used; however
the *result* of running it varied, depending on which directory
I was in at the time.

> Or maybe you have "." in your PATH?

Yikes, no; definitely not.

$ echo $PATH
/home/phil/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

$ cd /tmp

$ ls emacs
ls: cannot access 'emacs': No such file or directory

$ command -v emacs
/home/phil/bin/emacs

$ emacs --version
emacs: could not resolve realpath of "emacs": No such file or directory

$ touch emacs

$ emacs --version
emacs: /tmp/../native-lisp/28.0.50-abd7aa58/preloaded/window-0d1b8b93-581f9fcd.eln: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory