Subject: bug#47801: closed (Re: bug#47800: bug#44128: [feature/native-comp] When invoking a symlink to the 'emacs' binary Emacs fails to start)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:53:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44128: 28.0.50; [native-comp] could not resolve realpath

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44128: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44128
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#47800: bug#44128: [feature/native-comp] When invoking a symlink to the 'emacs' binary Emacs fails to start
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 17:52:02 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> >> This time it compiled; but with the following warnings, and
> >> when I run it from the installed location (whether using the
> >> absolute path or a symlink) I get a seg fault / core dump:
> >
> > Sorry about that.  Next try, please.
> 
> Now it works for me too.
> Thanks!

Thanks, so I think we can close this issue now.  Thanks to everybody
who reported their results and tried my buggy code.

Subject: 28.0.50; [native-comp] could not resolve realpath
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 14:20:24 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear emacs developers:

I recently compiled emacs from commit 95dd6bb08038e31515568943dcfae13afac8ff70,
after sudo make install I enter emacs in terminal but it gives an error
then quit:

-----
emacs: could not resolve realpath of "emacs": No such file or directory
-----

I notice that emacs is just a symlink to /usr/local/bin/emacs-28.0.50,
but after I type emacs-28.0.50 in and hit enter it give me a similar
error:

-----
emacs: could not resolve realpath of "emacs-28.0.50": No such file or directory
-----

path /usr/local/bin is in my PATH variable, and run emacs with absolute
path /usr/local/bin/emacs is working, also the last version I compiled
is from commit b064ddd3f600ed28e62b09d556ecced5f80d9883 and that version
dose not have this issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.28, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-04-15 built on archtop
Repository revision: 95dd6bb08038e31515568943dcfae13afac8ff70
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
china-util iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame
minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces
cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67607 7988)
 (symbols 48 6625 0)
 (strings 32 19257 2257)
 (string-bytes 1 655459)
 (vectors 16 13794)
 (vector-slots 8 336606 10047)
 (floats 8 22 39)
 (intervals 56 199 0)
 (buffers 992 10))