Subject: Re: bug#44113: 28.0.50; crash with cairo and Noto Sans Javanese font

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:22:13 +0200

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 12:12:00 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I installed NotoSansJavanese-Regular.ttf and when I type `C-h h' to view
> the Javanese script, Emacs immediately crashes.  It also crashes when I
> just try to insert a character from that script, e.g. `C-x 8 RET #xa9b2
> RET'.  I've attached the backtrace from gdb produced from the latter.
> Emacs also crashes when trying to display a character from the Balinese
> script with NotoSansBalinese-Regular.ttf installed.  The crashes do not
> happen in emacs-27 built without cairo, but characters from the Javanese
> and Balinese scripts are displayed there as tofu, as they are in Firefox
> (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javanese_script), so maybe the fonts
> are buggy; and indeed, when I uninstall them Emacs built with cairo does
> not crash and the characters are displayed as tofu.

It seems those fonts are indeed buggy: I just installed
NotoSansJavanese-Regular.ttf from
https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-fonts and with it the Javanese
script sample in etc/HELLO displays fine both in Emacs from master built
with cairo and in emacs-27 with xft (and the Javanese script Wikipedia
page also displays fine in Firefox; the googlefonts repository does not
contain NotoSansBalinese-Regular.ttf but instead
NotoSerifBalinese-Regular.ttf, which I also installed and with it the
Balinese characters in the Wikipedia page also display fine).

>                                                      But it would be
> better for Emacs with cairo not to crash with a buggy font, if possible.

That would still be good, but if it's not practically feasible, I guess
this bug should just be closed.

Steve Berman