Subject: bug#44113: closed (Re: bug#44113: 28.0.50; crash with cairo and Noto Sans Javanese font)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 08:16:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44113: 28.0.50; crash with cairo and Noto Sans Javanese font

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44113: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44113
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44113: 28.0.50; crash with cairo and Noto Sans Javanese font
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 10:15:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:38:12 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Yes, let's install that patch (I guess on the emacs-27 branch?).
> 
> I installed it on master, but we should cherry-pick it for emacs-27 in a
> couple of days (if there's no problems with it).

Thanks, I've now done that.

Subject: 28.0.50; crash with cairo and Noto Sans Javanese font
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 12:12:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed NotoSansJavanese-Regular.ttf and when I type `C-h h' to view
the Javanese script, Emacs immediately crashes.  It also crashes when I
just try to insert a character from that script, e.g. `C-x 8 RET #xa9b2
RET'.  I've attached the backtrace from gdb produced from the latter.
Emacs also crashes when trying to display a character from the Balinese
script with NotoSansBalinese-Regular.ttf installed.  The crashes do not
happen in emacs-27 built without cairo, but characters from the Javanese
and Balinese scripts are displayed there as tofu, as they are in Firefox
(e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javanese_script), so maybe the fonts
are buggy; and indeed, when I uninstall them Emacs built with cairo does
not crash and the characters are displayed as tofu.  But it would be
better for Emacs with cairo not to crash with a buggy font, if possible.
If desired, I can send the fonts.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 37, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.17, cairo version 1.17.3)
 of 2020-10-20 built on strobe-jhalfs
Repository revision: 39271ed108380494667ab680fc71b800f9ea5097
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Linux From Scratch SVN-20200401

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS XWIDGETS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix