Subject: bug#44101: closed (Re: bug#44101: Unable to use /dev/disk/by-id/ symlinks with u-boot and guix system reconfigure)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 07:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#44101: Unable to use /dev/disk/by-id/ symlinks with u-boot and guix system reconfigure

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
44101: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44101
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#44101: Unable to use /dev/disk/by-id/ symlinks with u-boot and guix system reconfigure
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 08:02:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

> Any reason not to apply this patch yet? Hope it can land in the next
> guix release, at least.

Nothing besides lack of time. Pushed as
a38d861e571c952f78ca588b50bdcc4adcb0c88c.

Thanks for reporting and testing,

Mathieu

Subject: Unable to use /dev/disk/by-id/ symlinks with u-boot and guix system reconfigure
From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 10:06:02 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It appears that:

  b97b423e3f61c80d5877dadc95b3f316cd61788f bootloader: Fix u-boot
  installation.

Breaks using a /dev/disk/by-id/ symlink in the bootloader target field
on systems using u-boot with "guix system reconfigure".

Frustratingly, It claims to succeed with bootloader installation, but
does not actually install u-boot to the device... when updating to the
new version of u-boot, I had to manually install the new version.

Using a raw device (e.g. /dev/mmcblk1) still works, but those devices
are not necessarily enumerated in a consistent order and so cannot be
used in a config.scm with guix system reliably.

Reverting that patch fixes using the /dev/disk symlink, though probably
breaks other use-cases.

I'm writing this from memory now, but I can also boot the machines at a
later point and get the exact configurations, if needed.

live well,
  vagrant