Subject: Re: bug#44081: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 22:40:43 -0400

Hello,

Malte Frank Gerdes <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to get debug symbols for qt related packages. I noticed that
> those inherit from qtsvg which itself inherits from qtbase. The
> behaviour that i see is: before the stripping phase all objects have
> debugging info and afterwards even the separate debug files don't have
> them anymore.

You want to use the staging branch of Guix, as it already includes a
debug output for qtbase and related packages (which inherits from its
definition).

Possibly what was missing from your experiment was the
"--force-debug-info" configure option that prevents the Qt build system
from stripping the debug symbols (the otherwise default behavior).  You
can inspect commit ab6fe9d3620 to see how it was done.

Hope that helps,

Maxim