Subject: qtbase strips debug info from the debug output

From: Malte Frank Gerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 21:48:49 +0200

Hi,

i'm trying to get debug symbols for qt related packages. I noticed that
those inherit from qtsvg which itself inherits from qtbase. The
behaviour that i see is: before the stripping phase all objects have
debugging info and afterwards even the separate debug files don't have
them anymore.

I tested other packages based on gnu-build-system; there every .debug
file that's in the debug output contains the debug info as
expected. This can be checked with `readelf --debug-dump
<path-to-file>'.

I read the package defintions but can't see where it goes wrong.

Attached is build log of qtbase with (outputs '("out" "debug")) added to
it's package definition. Note that during the strip phase strip issues
warnings regarding files in the debug output which should simply not be
because this (imho) where strip strips the debug info from the .debug
files.

Any help and/or clarification as to what is happening here is much
appreciated :)

Malte